Apr 2013

Asia, Blog

What to do, What to do

UPDATE (April 25):

This update pertains to the blog post below, in which we questioned whether or not we should continue with our goal of driving through China to produce a book about driving the Silk Road. We want to thank all those who spoke up with supportive comments about our plan. The hundreds of you who provided us with motivational words and insight here and on our Facebook page helped us realize that our chosen method of making it happen is a just and worthy one. There’s a great story to be told, and we’re determined to tell it. So after having slept on it, read through each and every one of your comments, and pondered it throughout a long drive up Thailand’s East coast, we’ve come to a decision.

We’re going to push hard and try to make it happen. It’s the spirit we started with and it’s the spirit that we’ll maintain until we finish. If we’d done what the armchair experts said we should have done, we’d still be sitting at home.

So that leaves 23 days from today to reach our funding goal.

Thanks!

In our next blog post, you’ll read about a guy we met named Hairi. After spending a couple of days with this man, who lived in a tent in the jungle with his family, we were really inspired. His life has been a continuous string of achievements that didn’t seem possible for someone without any money who lives in a tent in the jungle. We were so inspired by Hairi that we decided to choose our biggest barrier – driving through China – and try whatever we could think of to make it a reality. We never intended to drive through China due to the high cost, but we figured, with enough determination, anything is possible.

As you saw in our last blog post, we decided to devote all of our energy over the coming months to driving the Silk Road through China and Central Asia, and then stopping in Turkey to write a book about it. We thought that crowd sourced funding would be a good way to do it, because it would allow lots of people to contribute in small amounts, and then benefit at the end.

On the first day of our project, we raised 10% of our goal. By day five we were at 25%. Now, going into day six, we’re nearing the 30% mark. The feedback we received from our friends and readers was 98% positive, but there were a couple of people who saw it as a way to get other people to fund our vacation. This caught us off guard, because we never even considered that point of view. The way we saw it, we decided to break from our trip, and do an actual “project”, complete with extensive planning, note taking, professionalism, a deadline, and deliverables.

What we didn’t expect was that, as the word spread beyond our friends and readers, there would be such a high degree of hatred aimed at us. No longer was our project seen as a “project”, but as a couple of spoiled kids trying to get strangers to pay for our vacation. This is the entirely wrong message. And being that we’re positive people who like to be surrounded by positive thoughts, people, and feelings, we’re feeling a little unnerved by the hate.

It’s evening here in Thailand, and Sheena and I are going to sleep on it for the next couple of nights. We’ll be thinking about whether driving through China and Central Asia is worth the negative baggage that will come along with it. In the morning, we’ll either decide to keep the project up, or can it and go back to our original plan of shipping to India, and then shipping around the Middle East.

We’ll let you know.

1. Wow, sorry to hear about all the negativity. I think what you guys are doing is pretty impressive, and I am envious, but in a good way :-). I’d really love to help, but I’ve got two girls to put through college, and that is my priority. I live the adventure vicariously through your posts, and I’m sure whatever happens, it will be an adventure. Your idea of writing a book about your adventures is perfect and I’m sure it will be a success. You two are genuine, honest and good people. Keep the faith, if China is meant to be, it will happen, if not, well then, you will have a different adventure to write about. If I could make a gentle suggestion, perhaps you could find some volunteer activities to get involved in?.

Comment by steve on April 23, 2013 at 6:48 am

2. Jan

Hey guys you said you got 98% good feedback right? So who cares about the 2%. There are always going to be people who don’t agree with you no matter what the subject or project etc. Geez, our families are both against our lifestyle and there is nothing wrong with it. We live simple (400 sq ft home) and don’t believe in consumerism. Really? They disapproved when we rode our bicycles up the west coast of the USA, they disapproved when we lived in Europe for 10 years and on and on. Guess what we did it anyway and our true friends said “why didn’t you write a book your life is so much more interesting than anyone else we know”. We didn’t but wish we had I suppose but neither of us is a writer. So go for it! I personally want to read about it and the book when it is finished. :-)

Comment by Jan on April 23, 2013 at 6:50 am

3. Shawn

I donated $10 to your Kickstarter campaign because I admire your pluck and I because I get to live vicariously through your posts. Ignore the haters, don’t give up on your dreams, and try and make the China leg of your trip work.

Comment by Shawn on April 23, 2013 at 6:51 am

4. kelly

F – the whinners.

Comment by kelly on April 23, 2013 at 6:58 am

5. If you had listened to the nay sayers, you probly wouldnt have started your epic treck in the first place. Please ignore all nayers and listen, as you both seem to know, first and formost to your heart! Wishing you a fantastic voyage either way.

Comment by Lorrie O on April 23, 2013 at 6:59 am

6. Leslie

This makes me so sad. I think you found the rotten part of modern culture and the Internet. There are many people acting as modern voyeurs who, instead of celebrating the adventure and enjoying the writing, allow it to further their own unhappiness and isolation. I’m sorry you two had to experience this to such a degree. I’m completely jealous of your adventures, but to me it is a reminder that we CAN make our wilder plans come to fruition! One thought that might help on the particular project in question: What about designating a portion of each book sale to a relevant regional charity? Whatever you decide, I hope you know what an entertaining inspiration you guys have been so far. Please keep dreaming and don’t let those that can’t dream bring you down.

Comment by Leslie on April 23, 2013 at 7:10 am

7. Carrie St.Clair

Calling it a ‘vacation’ is probably the first mistake the negative feedback people made. They have a right to their opinion but so do you and when 98% of people agree with you then I would say to the other 2% F*$@k ‘em and hit the road! I just read all the other comments and couldn’t agree more. Best of luck to you both :)

Comment by Carrie St.Clair on April 23, 2013 at 7:14 am

8. Rob

There are people out there who are ‘negative’, it’s what they are and what they do. I’m sure you’ve met them before, they walk into a room & suck the light & positive energy from people. You get alone with them & they will probably tell you that you’re “wasting” your life with this trip, like they have “the” answer to all.
    There was never any thought of helping with the Chinese fees in their mind nor did the thought of just ignoring this even cross it, they just spread ‘negative’.
    It’s just how they are.

This is your life, your adventure and the two of you are sharing it with us. I appreciate that and I’ll help if I can.

Comment by Rob on April 23, 2013 at 7:15 am

9. Well, it’s not a popularity contest to get as many people to like you, it’s your life, and your trip. Just do it.
    I’ve had some haters on my first Youtube vid when MotorTrend shot it, even had someone say that I’m selfish to the max, go help starving and homeless kids in Lagos he said.
    Are you going to look back on this one day and say ¨damn, we should never have let the negative shit get to us like that¨ OR are you going to finish what you started?.
    It’s your lives, live it the way YOU see fit.

See you on the road one day guys, I’m in Finland and heading east over the next 2 yrs. Mongolia sounds like a cool place to meet for a weekend……..

Murph.

Comment by IrishMurph on April 23, 2013 at 7:22 am

10. Bob Cooper

Don’t bow to the hate! There will always be a small part of the population that feels negative. But they are not out there dealing with broken CV shafts in the middle of the Tibetan desert. You will be, and then, taking the time to write it down so we can all share in The Adventure. Keep the hate in mind, yes, but let the positive thoughts guide you through your trip. Write your book on the Silk Road – Volkswagen style…we, the positive, would love to read your stories.

Comment by Bob Cooper on April 23, 2013 at 7:26 am

11. Todd and Sam

There are some great comments here and some great ideas, all positive, which I think is the point. Go for the unimaginable, it’s makes the best story. I think your idea is wonderful and I’d love to read the book. It reminds me of some of my other favorites, like the movie “Long Way Round”. Forget about the negative, you’ve come this far. The best memories I have are the adventures I found while traveling. If I’d have listened to what others said, worried about what others might think, or didn’t believe I could take the time to do it, I wouldn’t have those memories, or for that matter be married to my wonderful wife I met in Thailand. Enjoy your time there, it’s a beautiful place, and kept moving forward. I’m rooting for you, and you’re example of “yes, you can do the things you dream about!” Go for it. I’ll toss in a few bucks and spread the word where I can. Good luck!

Comment by Todd and Sam on April 23, 2013 at 7:26 am

12. Thanks everyone. When I say it was 98% positive, that was before this came out.

I think the positive/negative percentages swapped. And there are people on here who, if they came across us in a grocery store, would literally strangle us with shopping bags. How can you not let this get to you? Sheesh. I could never be a politician.

Comment by Brad on April 23, 2013 at 7:28 am

13. If your kickstarter campaign is bothering somebody, their heads really must of been blown off by the Hello Harto campaign.

Don’t bow to the trolls – I hope you two pull it off. I’m a backer.

Comment by gprguy on April 23, 2013 at 7:32 am

14. mike

HEY! i have to say you two are not at all two rich kids on a vacation. Your two people that are living a dream! A dream that i would one day love to take and you’re proving to me, that it can be done. so don’t nega out about unhappy people that get aggry that they can’t do what you do ! you both are alot smarter than two rich kides. I mean it took me a good hour just to figure out how nacho worked and im in auto repair. so keep trucking along and go throw china because if you don’t i will :D. i look forward to your next post!

Comment by mike on April 23, 2013 at 7:37 am

15. Mathieu

All previous comments are correct. Do not worry about the negative people! Actually I’m surprised, 2% is not a lot.

Your offering a product in exchange right? Nobody’s twisting anybody’s arm to pay anything right?

So just do it and enjoy!

And as you said: “Where there’s a will, there’s a way!”

Mathieu

Comment by Mathieu on April 23, 2013 at 7:38 am

16. Cruz

Brad & Sheena life is about a personal journey and making our own destiny
    And having no regrets at the end of our journey. Most peoples journey have regrets as they didn’t fulfill a life dream, or what could have been. Both of you have the opportunity to make the dream happen and the negative comments should not persuade you to change your dream, it’s your personal journey and it will be up to you how you write this chapter. Take this as a learning lesson in life, and learn from it in a positive way.

Comment by Cruz on April 23, 2013 at 7:40 am

17. Shake off the negativity. There will always be people who are resentful, negative and/or angry towards anyone who is happily exploring the challenges of life on their own terms. It takes a certain amount of intellectual curiosity to be willing to take chances and travel long-term, and there will be those that just don’t understand why – or how – you are able to travel when they feel stuck. It can be disconcerting to read or hear negative comments about what you are doing, but – and this can be difficult – let it go. Don’t let yourself be sidelined from doing what you want to do by a few unhappy people. Keep on going…..I’m curious to see how this all works out for you guys!

Comment by Karen on April 23, 2013 at 7:40 am

18. You can’t live based on the opinions of a choice few, and if we didn’t do things in life because someone else thought they were wrong, human beings would never do anything.

The way to look at it is you are getting funding to take your trip and no doubt you will enjoy it, but you will also be working for that money in the form of the book and giving something back in return.

Stick by those who share your philosophies and dont worry about those who don’t.

Comment by Matt BW on April 23, 2013 at 7:42 am

19. nathan

I think Hate is way too strong a word for the feedback you are getting. Yes, people are annoyed by the idea of funding your vacation instead of their own, but hate implies a personal angst, which is simply not the case. I’ve the read the comments on AutoBlog, ExPo, and so forth. Personally, I am hesitant to donate for the same general reason. Its a matter of principle and entitlement. You aren’t working. You don’t have jobs, your trip is a wonderful, fantastic period of adventure and escapism, but it absolutely is a vacation. A fantastic vacation, but still just a vacation.

I did post a suggestion though on one of those forums. Talk about the book. Give potential donors such as myself a description of the book. I love your blog, I’ve contributed to your blog, and others like it (LiveLifeRemotely for example), because I appreciate your musings. It’s valuable to me, as my own form of escapism. I recognize this, and as such, I would be interesting in buying your book, as long as its not merely a repeat or compilation of your blog. Is that what it is? We don’t know. You’ve been remarkable vague about the book itself. You seem divided between selling the idea of funding your vacation verses purchasing a product. My suggestion is to focus on the product, and let sales of that fund your vacation…..sorta like a job. Being a writer. It can be done, look to J. Maarten Troost as an example. I would be willing to buy that book if it was unique from the blog, but fund your vacation while I am forced to toil away at my desk? No, I think not. Sorry Brad, its not personal, but get a job.

Comment by nathan on April 23, 2013 at 7:45 am

20. Geneva

Do not let noisy dissent outweigh silent satisfaction!

Comment by Geneva on April 23, 2013 at 7:51 am

21. John

If you look at your proposal from a business point if view, you are merely seeking backers for a project. These backers will receive a product in return, and a fair exchange is not robbery. Look for your funding, if it comes, provide the product. In your case the product is a journal of your experiences. What about all the adventurers that are sponsored by corporations? They paste their vehicles in decals and drive on. Does anyone criticise them for having their adventure funded by someone else?

You are Brad and Sheena, just winging it. That’s what we love. Keep it up.

Comment by John on April 23, 2013 at 8:03 am

22. Todd and Sam

Sounds like there’s a number of people reading autoblog that are just plain negative and enjoy throwing out senseless comparisons, none of which make much sense. Don’t let them drag you down. Pay attention to the post by the author of the autoblog and why he said he wrote it. You are trying to fund a creative project, which is great and an interesting idea that I’d never heard of. If certain people don’t agree, they simply don’t have to be a part of it. Seems like whenever I read web post comments there has to be a certain number of people who find it necessary to post negative or crude crap regardless of the subject matter. You’re bound to get some. I rarely, if ever, post to blogs or comment sections, but felt I should rally with the the others in encouragement. I personally thought the autoblog article was really good and explained how you managed to take time to do what you’re doing. More power to you!

Comment by Todd and Sam on April 23, 2013 at 8:10 am

23. What is the project, though, really? I have always viewed this as an awesome vacation that 90% of us would never be able to do. But I don’t hate you guys for it. You went to college, made good money for a few years and saved most of it, and you don’t have kids.

Sure, I “envy” you guys, but I’m not going to throw hate bombs at you. At the same time, though, I won’t fund your exploration. But that is just because I don’t make enough to do so, and if I did, I’d be saving for my own ambitions. :)

Comment by David on April 23, 2013 at 8:11 am

24. Donald and Deborah

Oh for goodness sakes….what business is it of the 2 percent what I do with my money. It’s not like I am being held at gun point. Hey 2%’er, buy a book you cheap a**, if you have read about this endeavor you are being a leach if you don’t. Now leave this page and go watch TV.

Comment by Donald and Deborah on April 23, 2013 at 8:15 am

25. Hey Guys,

My wife called me this morning from work to ask if I had read your latest post. Having now read it I would like to point out a few things that may help you make your decision. Consider this; projects are financed by sponsors all over the world every day. From Formula One race car teams to teens that decide to sail around the world solo. Expeditions are almost always financed by sponsors and only by the ones that find value in what they put their money into. As my wife and I plan our PanAm drive we find quite a bit of value in you and Sheena. Not only have we learned valuable travel, budget and gear information but we have also really enjoyed your photos and writings. We cheer for you, we hurt for you guys (or at least I did when you lost the big trout in Patagonia), we laugh with you and your spirit and determination both inspire and endear us to you both. That is value to me. We “bought you a beer” recently and you can count on us buying you another one in the near future. I would not give the money if I did not want to. My grandfather was a good man that helped a lot of people and he always told me, “take what others offer to you and when you have opportunities down the road, PASS IT ON”. Those three words are on his tombstone. On another note, be careful about reading too many of the comments on sites that may publish articles about you both. Having been a chef for 24 years and having my fair share of write ups (some good, some bad), when social media started becoming popular I learned very quickly to NOT read what most people wrote as it took away my focus. You guys hang in there, stay focused on your goal and don’t let the bastards wear you down.

Comment by Sojern2 on April 23, 2013 at 8:28 am

26. Yojimbo

Hi Guys ~

Though it makes me a minority in your comment section, where I’m typically on the same page as everyone else in my delight, praise, and wonder, I wanted to express my agreement with “Nathan” above.

Your calling critique “hate” is literally irresponsible — it allows you and your fans (of which I remain profoundly one) to avoid responding to critique as intelligent and trenchant, and to dismiss it as irrationally “negative,” a product of jealousy, resentment, or ignorance. It isn’t always.

Nathan offers some practical, well-reasoned, soundly-seasoned advice that assumes a maturity of response on your part. Should you fail to address it, you confirm the presumptions of the worst of the critics you label “haters.” You become pouty, self-aggrandizing, self-righteous, and spoiled. Which I don’t believe you are.

I think you have a chance to learn something about yourselves. A lesson that might introduce a bit of cognitive dissonance into otherwise deeply loved, deeply confident, and deeply privileged lives — but in the end, a lesson that would increase the interpretive scope of your experience of the world, and the tensile depth of your art.

Unlike Nathan, I decided to donate to your Kickstarter. I remain very happy with the decision, because I have a lot of faith in your seriousness, your insight, and your dedication as writers, thinkers, and workers.

Rock on, Nacho.

Comment by Yojimbo on April 23, 2013 at 8:30 am

27. Life is short, the longer one lives, the shorter it gets. It’s your life, so do with it as you wish. If I had listened to all the “half-empties” in this world I would have achieved less than half of what I have to date. I will always be a believer in the “half-full” because that’s what life is about. Not all the plans work out, sometimes you get smacked down by reality, money often dictates the rules of your world but does not have to, you don’t always get what you want, but you always get what you need (“borrowed from the Rolling Stones”…) and time heals all wounds. For the naysayer’s I say “too bad you are not living life”. If the naysayers need a job, they should get one.

No, DON’T get a job, live your life to the fullest!! There is plenty of time to get a job but not plenty of time to get a life.

I read plenty of adventure and travel blogs and although most are somewhat interesting, most are poorly written. In your case, the team writing is luscious, salient, scrumptious, exciting, funny, entertaining and wholly enlightening. It’s personal and to me it evokes exploration – of the mind, spirit and soul while exploring the world we carelessly trash every day.

@nathan: your words are meaningless and hollow. You may have a job but your life is a brown paper bag of emptiness. You may try a little adventure in your life sometime, maybe you will mature a little and stop pretending to be a “wise-one” because many of us see right through your smoke and mirrors.

If you cannot stand in spirit with the Nacho crew (they do not need your dollar), then step aside as there are many that are willing and able to lend a hand, donate a few dollars or slap them heartily on the back to congratulate those that are living on the edge. It takes courage to step off the curve into the unknown.

I will be pledging to your kickstarter and will eagerly await for my adventure book. If China is meant to be, it will be. No matter, you will be giving back in more ways than you think possible.

Remember, people all over the world want the same thing, peace, love, understanding and they all love their kids.

Drive Nacho Drive…all over the world!

Safe travels with love in your heart.

Sergio

Comment by Sergio on April 23, 2013 at 8:33 am

28. Oh, and one more great example of a wonderful publicly sponsored organization! NPR and and every show under its umbrella. Your blog isn’t any different than many of the wonderful stories they run on their stations daily. Its entertainment and people gladly pay for it!

Comment by Sojern2 on April 23, 2013 at 8:34 am

29. Sheena, Brad, I am very disapointed in you guys. What were you thinking? What were you thinking when you decided to try and get funding for your trip / project from ordinary Joes who, at best, can only envy you two?? How could you have expected for everybody to happily throw some cash at you so you can live your dream and report about it? Have you lost contact with reality somewhere along the trip?? Well, I’m so sorry you got your bubble busted but no, we do not live in an ideal world, I thought you would have witnessed that by now. No matter what you will attempt, accomplish. No matter ones greatest realisations, there will always be haters who will try to drag you down with them in their black hole. As Murph said, I didn’t realize this was a popularity contest. I didn’t realize you would let yourselves be influenced by haters to that extend… If you would have asked them for their opinion before getting started on this whole Adventure, those same haters probably would have told you you were fools to even think of doing what you’re doing. Those people are probably jealous as hell as they wouldn’t have the guts to try and accomplish one tenth of what you two already did. F*** the haters! Prove them fools and make this epic trip through China come true…And write about it! I’m a supporter!

Comment by Marc Joinville on April 23, 2013 at 8:37 am

30. Brice

In the beginning, your fund-raising message only went out to people who ALREADY knew about you, enjoyed reading your stories, and were positive to your goals.

To a complete stranger, who doesn’t know anything about you except for the fact that you’re begging for money to keep your multi-year vacation going, your fund-raising message comes across as the most pathetic, spoiled, and downright revolting to hard-working Americans who can’t afford to simply quit their jobs and have a three-year adventure. And $25,000? Really? That’s more than a lot of hard-working Americans bring home in a year, yet you don’t see them panhandling for vacation money.

Honestly, making a global appeal was ridiculous. I can’t believe you would try to take that message to complete strangers and not expect it to be blown back hard into your faces. Hard and vicious.

I’m not a “hater,” in fact I wish you the best of luck on your travels. I’m just telling you how it is in the real world.

Comment by Brice on April 23, 2013 at 8:39 am

31. David

Brad, I started this more than a few times. I guess my own take on this whole subject can be summed up with; why are you asking people for money on a future that is uncertain AND holding those of us who follow you in writing at ransom with a statement like ‘This is how much money we need to drive where we want to. If we don’t get it we are just shipping the vehicle around. If we get it, you can read about it in a book.’? Wow, that was a run on sentence.

Having spent a lifetime of adventure travel and trips, I can offer some wisdom with the ‘naysayers and haters’. First, they don’t hate you. They likely just expect that you will continue what you have done and they will continue to follow you. Some might be jealous because they can’t do what you are doing (unless they had a spare 20K around). Then there are a few of us, and I am in the minority here, who have traveled, trekked, adventured far and have done it with varying degrees of success and backing. I think ‘good on you’ for any plan you can come up with, even holding the promise of a future for 20K. I have been part of adventures backed by Nat Geo. What I am, admittedly, most surprised with is not your request for sponsorship BUT just how easily you are willing to buy into this single form of support that can mean success or failure of your plan. What was plan B through Z?

Think outside the box Brad. You are twice the writer I am and I now work professionally as a writer. They fly me to write and take photos of engineering projects; and I have an Outdoor Recreation Degree! I got involved with a paleontological trip, and all my expenses entirely funded, for just doing the writing. Take a look at all your skills and market them in other ways. Brainstorm. I was the sailboat captain and medical leader of a kayak expedition crossing the Bering Strait and paddling the Kamchatka Peninsula. Take time and write down all your skills – all of them. Anyone can take pictures with a cell phone, but photographers are still in demand. I am an EMT. What can you do to sell yourself to trade for that trip? What can you do on the trip that will pay for it?

So here is my advice. Simply take another look at what you want to do and then think how you can accomplish it. My gosh man, you want to travel across China – and you are a gifted English writer. Hook up with a health, education or religious organization to get in. Take time and write a book about what you have done, stretching the adventures you have had already with more of your great writing and photos. Publish 1000 books in China (or Vietnam) and sell them for $30, the first 300 would sell quick. China is bursting with technologies that need English writers. Someone within the group on Facebook will have some kind of ‘in’. If not, contact UNICEF and offer land transportation for a doctor in remote areas. Start sending the stuff you have done to magazines, writing new articles to those audiences. You can write to annual reports of WHO or others by simply getting involved and they will help you.

I guess my struggle with the Kickstart thing is that it looks last ditch and short sighted. It feels like you want what everyone else wants; some sort of instant gratification. I think that you are capable of a better plan. I was once a guy who lived in a bus who dreamed of sailing. It took me just over two years and I was off on my own cruising boat. 17,000 NM later and I was on my own 50′ sailboat. Listen to the guy who lives in a tent in the jungle. You can certainly do more. Back up and take another run at this. Use Kickstart in a smaller way and layover in SE Asia for 3 months and write Drive Nacho Drive: to the end of the world… Then you can always write DND: around the world later.

Comment by David on April 23, 2013 at 8:43 am

32. Guilherme Araujo

Just some encouragement from Brazil. Keep on going, ignore those negative comments. Those who have contributed with your project believe in it and you. That’s all that matters.

Comment by Guilherme Araujo on April 23, 2013 at 8:44 am

33. David

Oh – We are trekking across Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam in June and July. Any chance you guys will still be in that area? We would love to visit with you.

Comment by David on April 23, 2013 at 8:49 am

34. Mike

In Canada we had a up and coming world class tennis player who couldn’t take all the negative, even hate mail she received, so she quite.
    Don’t let those small minded BASTARDS do it to you.
    I’m 100% behind you.
    Mike

Comment by Mike on April 23, 2013 at 8:50 am

35. I think this is awesome and I’m happy to support your trip with my money. The people who are actually angry at you have some serious issues. They should stop criticizing how you are living your lives and think about how to get one of their own. Ignore the haters. Look at Long Way Round – two millionaires who ask BMW for free bikes? Your just asking for sponsorship, very common in most forms of motorsport and adventure.

Comment by mike on April 23, 2013 at 8:53 am

36. I’ve traveled with you guys, shared a place in Buenos Aires etc., went through shipping issues with you two and what not. You’re good people. It’s been a great gift to have been able to spend some time with you guys. You know in your heart you’re doing the right thing, so pursue it with all you can. You’ll make it and succeed, no doubt there.

Comment by Kevin Beretta on April 23, 2013 at 9:04 am

37. Tad

I see a generous splash of the F-word in these comments. Totally appropriate. 98% is a landslide, especially when considering that at least 15-20% of the US population is borderline crazy. I’d venture that the other 13-18% of the American population that is ‘nuts’ will eventually comment to the negative side. Good thing is … these people will come and go quickly. Me? I just found your website and I love it. So F%#K the naysayers and go for it!!

Comment by Tad on April 23, 2013 at 9:24 am

38. Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Your support has eased the knot in our stomachs a little bit. I didn’t realize there would be such a vehement negative reaction when the story hit the “real world”, as so many of them are calling it. Thanks for your continued support.

Comment by Brad on April 23, 2013 at 9:24 am

39. @Yojimbo, I thank you for your pledge, and thank you for eloquently stated dissenting opinion (why can’t more people do that!?)

One thing I have to disagree on is where you say “Your calling critique “hate” is literally irresponsible.” Have you scrolled through any of the 148 (so far) comments on the Autoblog article? It feels like a public hazing involving mostly middle school students.

I especially liked the one where the lady said that the two of us should get a divorce. Another gem was the lady who said that we should get jobs – specifically that we should take our good looks and become prostitutes. Classy.

And to top it off, very few if any seem to comprehend what we’re trying to do here. Everyone suggests that we set out to drive around the world, not knowing that it was so expensive to drive through China, and are now crying poor. Come on people! WE NEVER PLANNED TO DRIVE ACROSS CHINA IN THE FIRST PLACE! That’s why we didn’t save enough money to do it! We are seeking funding that may allow us to change our planned route to include a place that would be unreachable without outside funding.

Most of the comments are hard to read, and I think if I’m ever to smile again I’ll just have to stop reading them.

Comment by Brad on April 23, 2013 at 9:33 am

40. Martin Lively

Do not let the naysayers dissuade you.

I get a lot of blogs, only one do I really look forward to with glee, DriveNachoDrive!

Comment by Martin Lively on April 23, 2013 at 9:36 am

41. haters gonna hate!

Stack that money and get your butts into China, Well be coming along behind you eventually.

Comment by James on April 23, 2013 at 9:37 am

42. Tad

One more thing … if you do meet your dollar requirement, then that’s your answer. At that point, you answer only to your ‘shareholders’. Keep in mind that the Green Bay Packers raised almost $75M — yes, $75 million — last year in a WORTHLESS stock offering. People sent the Packers $250 per share so that they can call themselves shareholders and attend the annual shareholders meeting. These shareholders can never sell their stock and they can never profit from their stock. But they LOVE it. Just think of yourselves as the Green Bay Packers of new travel world. Your international audience loves watching you (almost) as much as Packers fans love watching the Packers. Now get busy!

Comment by Tad on April 23, 2013 at 9:40 am

43. Jed and Meg went through similar crazy ass negative feedback when they got the shitkicked out of them in Peru. Some people are truely nasty beasts when they can hide behind a computer screen. I know its hard but the best way to deal with the trolls is just to completely ignore them. Don’t bother replying or arguing. You have plenty of supporters to argue for you, Stick to the project and I look forward to reading the book!

Comment by James on April 23, 2013 at 9:43 am

44. Yoyo

I’d like to underscore Nathan’s comment and add the following thought: that you were caught off guard by the criticism evidences a quality of tone deafness. There’s a particular kind of blithely entitled 20-somethingness in your Kickstarter video and write up that just…I don’t know, rubs me the wrong way, and I completely understand why it rubs others the wrong way as well. If you don’t get that, we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

I wish you well on your journey.

Comment by Yoyo on April 23, 2013 at 9:50 am

45. Leslie

Three things that stand out to me in situations like this: The people who have negative opinions that should matter to you will sit down and have a face to face conversation with you (or a modern one on one variation of the same). Constructive criticism which is an actual attempt to be helpful should not be followed by a snide barb. Adding “best wishes, good luck,” or some other nicety does not excuse spiteful commentary. Thinking of you guys as you sort through it all and sending some AZ love your way.

Comment by Leslie on April 23, 2013 at 10:08 am

46. We’ve enjoyed your journey and promoted your cause on our blog and social sites. Ignore the few haters and their negative baggage.

Keep on keeping on.

Comment by Vanagon Blog on April 23, 2013 at 10:24 am

47. I’m sorry you’ve gotten such negative feedback and while I can see where it’s coming from, I also don’t understand why someone might think it okay to donate to kickstarter for a documentary such as “I’m Fine, Thanks” but not yours…basically, both involve travel. I think the haters are probably the people jealous that you’re out living an amazing life while they sit in their cubicle or in front of the tv, bored and unhappy but too lazy to kick their ass into gear and try to make their life extraordinary. I say go with your plan and screw the haters! Be extraordinary!

Comment by Rhonda on April 23, 2013 at 10:30 am

48. Matt

Hey guys, as a fellow vanagon owner and dreamer I love following your blog. Like many of the people here I gave a donation to your kickstarter as a thank you for sharing your stories so far. I wanted to add one more voice saying, haters gonna hate. I hope you guys stick to your dreams and do what it takes regardless of what some trolls are going to say.

Best wishes and safe travels!

Comment by Matt on April 23, 2013 at 11:05 am

49. I just read about your story on autoblog, and I think what you are doing is GREAT! Like many comments here, I agree with the 98% of people.

The truth of the matter is, you wanted an adventure, if people want to support you, then WHO CARES about that 2%.

I’m pretty sure 98% of the people agree this with me, and the 2% could just be people that don’t want other people to live an adventure they cannot do themselves! So in other words, keep on going.

Comment by Eric Sacha Callejas on April 23, 2013 at 11:36 am

50. Chad

I started a family early. By the time I graduated from the University of Washington I was married and had two kids. Still in my mid-twenties and saddled with the responsibility of providing for a family, I recall encountering kids my same age who had dropped out of society for 6 months to backpack through Europe. “What losers”, I recall thinking.

Now in my mid 40s, I so badly wish I had been among those “losers”.

I don’t expect I will ever have the opportunity you have before you now. Go to China, and allow me to be part of your adventure by reading your weekly blogs, and one day your book.

Comment by Chad on April 23, 2013 at 11:59 am

51. Raghu

From Jalopnik -> AutoBlog -> to here:

Please carry forward I would hate to see this project taken down..Would love to do something like you guys are doing and it is very valuable to know how you made it happen..

Who gives a damn about the 2% there are always going to be nay-sayers, haters, best thing to do is make it happen and show them they are wrong.
    Wish you guys the best, DRIVE NACHO DRIVE!!

Comment by Raghu on April 23, 2013 at 12:00 pm

52. Bobbi M

When all else is stripped away, and the person in the mirror is staring you down, what will your honest assessment be? You’re the one who has live with you. :) I figure as long as you’re good stewards of the money given and are responsible in your actions, living as part of a global community, you’re not “getting people to pay for your vacation” like somebody without a mission or purpose. I learn so much from your blog and appreciate the new lessons learned and am thankful that there are people like you that are sharing your experiences. Keep on!

Comment by Bobbi M on April 23, 2013 at 12:21 pm

53. Bobbi M

p.s. Wouldn’t it be nice if all these negative people who talk about the “real world” took responsibility for the shaping of the world that they live in? If you put life and happiness and joy into your world, you’ll (mostly) get that back. If you put crap and negativity and a big case of the grumpies into life, guess what you’ll get back. It’s nature’s way. So, chin up, invest in life and shape your world.

Comment by Bobbi M on April 23, 2013 at 12:37 pm

54. /Alex

Hold on to your dreams

Comment by /Alex on April 23, 2013 at 12:47 pm

55. Donna J

I’ve been following your adventures for about the past six months or so and have really enjoyed them. But as much as I enjoy them, I still felt a little put off by your Kickstarter project request.

Maybe if this had seemed like a clear goal to your readers months ago, I might feel differently; as it is, I feel like it was a decision you’ve just now made because you don’t have the money yourself. Therefore, it’s easy to understand why other people, particularly those who don’t read your blog, see it as a way for you to fund your travels. You’re not doing the project to raise awareness of a cause, donate to a charity, or attempt something that would otherwise be extremely difficult (e.g., like the pair of handicapped cyclists who can barely walk attempting to travel across Tibet on recumbent bikes–a recent Kickstarter film project). The Hippie Trail through Asia has been traveled by Westerners for decades–many have even written books about it–so many in the travel community don’t see this as something new.

As someone who backpacks three to six months every year, I know you have to sometimes adapt your plans to fit your budget. And as someone who has been to India, I know that you can still reach your goal of writing an amazing book on your adventures there

Basically, I see your blog as an inspiration for do-if-yourselfers who want to travel the world in their own vehicle. Crowd sourcing your adventure isn’t very do-it-yourself, and it won’t be something others will be able to emulate down the road.

Comment by Donna J on April 23, 2013 at 1:12 pm

56. Zach

Guys, anyone can say anything on the internet. It’s the freaking internet. You’re not taking anyone’s money to fund a vacation. You’re trying to raise money to produce a book…this is a tangible product. How is this any different than using kickstarter to fund a project to produce smart phone watches, or a new tech startup? It is no different!

Projects like yours are why kickstarter was invented.
    You need funding to produce a product (in this case a book).
    Keep on with it! Seriously!

Let the people who are throwing insults at you sit around in their living rooms with tin foil hats watching fox news and complaining about how people are rejecting capitalism. Meanwhile, you’re going to embrace capitalism and the American spirit to start your business venture (in the form of a book) and have a wonderful experience while doing it.

Please for the love of all that is Holy, do not fold to these people and drive through Iran. My word! DO NOT drive through the Middle East! wow!

-Zk in Nashville.

Comment by Zach on April 23, 2013 at 1:22 pm

57. Matt C

Press on Guys!! Hopefully some of these above comments have inspired you to continue through China! If the book ends up being half as good as your blog posts, its gonna be a great read!!! Hopefully including your amazing pictures!!

Matt
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Comment by Matt C on April 23, 2013 at 1:34 pm

58. D

In case you’re not aware, if you use CreateSpace.com you’ll be able to publish for free. No need for crowd funding your publishing endeavor.

Comment by D on April 23, 2013 at 1:53 pm

59. Markus

Hi Brad & Sheena,

I found your blog a few months as I was idly looking for overland travel reports from South America. I get this itch every once in a while. One day, I would love to hit the road myself, but currently, reading other peoples’ adventures is what I am doing. Let’s just say that I’ve been hooked ever since I found your blog. It’s definitely one of the best accounts of overland travels I have come across. I promptly read the whole blog in chronological order. You’re both great writers, and more than once I was laughing out loud at the humor with which you are telling your story.

Regarding your Kickstarter project and the reactions from it, I can’t help but feel you’ve been a bit naïve. On the Internet, there’s always people who “love to hate” and express their points of view in hurtful and rude ways.

For as long as only your friends, supporters and followers knew about The Project (I shan’t call it “vacation”), all was well. After all, we had shown interest and taken the time to get to know about you and your “little” adventure. We knew your attitude and why you did what you did. However, once it hit the general public, who had no context, things didn’t go so well anymore.

I am sure you know how forums and social media sites work. The primary rule seems to be, if you dislike something, respond first, the ruder and the more insulting the better, think later – or, better yet, not at all. And, under no circumstances, invest any time in learning more, but judge right away, and harshly. It’s a pretty sad state of affairs, but the anonymity of a computer lets people say things they would never dare say to your faces. Never mind the fact that, if they ever met you in person, they’d realize you are NOT evil, after all.

Also keep in mind that the “general public” knows nothing about extended travel (quite a large portion of them probably doesn’t travel much at all). So, to them, being away from home and not having a job equates to vacation. What else could it be? When you are at home and at work, that’s called life. When you are away from home, not working and travelling, that’s called vacation. And vacations are fun, relaxing times. Normal people get a week or two at a time. That’s what they know, that’s what makes sense to them. And when they read about a couple who’s been on the road for a year and a half already and they are asking for money…

Of course, those who don’t like the way you are going about funding your China project needn’t contribute. It’s that simple. You are honest and upfront about what you are doing and why, so people can make their choice to give or not to. That’s really all there’s to it. You aren’t conning anybody into anything. And you aren’t hurting anybody by asking – but they are hurting you with their attitude. (Keep that in mind, asking isn’t bad!)

Having said all that, I do have to admit that I, too, have struggled a bit as to whether to contribute to The Project or not. Something about the idea of asking for money to travel through China didn’t feel quite right to me. Don’t get me wrong, I was always at least 90% on board with supporting you, but there were about 10% of me that were wondering if your idea didn’t simply amount to you asking others to fund your dreams rather than their own. I know you didn’t actually ask that of people, but it came across (to a small degree) like you had.

Anyway, I have greatly enjoy your blog, I’ll want to read your book(s) anyway, and I don’t want to see the China Project be shut down. So, there’ll be a contribution from me forthcoming.

Hang in there guys, and look at supplementing your fundraising with some of the other ideas that have come up here, should you need additional funds besides Kickstarter. (You are saying the first book is almost ready. That could be one easy additional money source.) Don’t give up quite yet! Nacho still wants to drive!

Comment by Markus on April 23, 2013 at 1:56 pm

60. I feel a bit guilty about this – Zach at Autoblog found out about the Kickstarter campaign from me, and I’d hate to the negativity from that see that derail the project. Zach totally gets it, it’s just the readership that didn’t.

There are some good points here – I’ve been following the trip since before you guys left. So I know what you can do, the quality of the writing and the fact that you really do get amazing stuff done. So it was a no-brainer to contribute. I’ll spend more on much lower quality writing and entertainment just buying car magazines for six months.

But that doesn’t necessarily come across in the Kickstarter pitch. It’s a tough thing to write – we did something similar a few years back and got similar negative feedback from some camps. You have to play up the project part of it, as noted here. Maybe take a second look at the verbiage. It’s too late for the Autobloggers, but word does spread and that has been a very, umm, enthusiastically followed post on the blog.

Comment by Keith Tanner on April 23, 2013 at 2:03 pm

61. Adrian

I just spent the last hour and a half writing an incendiary defense of you guys and your project on autoblog (it can be found under “god”, if it is not removed), and voting down every single negative comment. THAT is how much I believe in what you are doing. After reading nearly every comment on there I have discovered that 98% of the gearheads on that site are woefully uneducated scumbags and are completely ignorant of what Kickstarter is or how it even works. So basically you don’t need to worry about any of them, seriously. I think jealousy or plain stupidity has gotten the best of them.
    I wish you continued success on your amazing adventure! Peace.

Comment by Adrian on April 23, 2013 at 2:22 pm

62. Hi guys.
    Wow. I didn’t realize what was going on with the comments. it has to be hard to read. If you can find a way to read it and see humor in it- carry on, otherwise never visit the site again- what good can come?

We chose not to put a donate button on our site because we would rather think that people would save cash to fund their own trip/dream rather than helping with ours.
    That was the right decision for us- but lets face it, your donate button (and those on many travelers’ blogs) prove that many people out there are willing to give back because they enjoy living vicariously through your journeys. Look at how many people donated after you were robbed…you have a fantastic following of readers and they will continue to support you no matter what the masses say. Those same people are now funding the project.

Difficult to hear now i’m sure, but any marketing is good marketing… the amount of publicity generated by the intense reaction (good or bad) will lead a host of new readers to your site. When they arrive many will read/learn what others have already learned- that you are fantastic writers and have an enjoyable story to tell. Then, many of them will move to fund the project.

If you listened to all the naysayers and negative comments the first time you would still be sitting in the states. We all would be.
    Instead, you made the choice to ignore them- and now you need to again.

There’s no sense in giving up now, allow the comments to continue and see what happens with your project. If it funds, good for you. If it doesn’t, i hope you’ll find a way to chase your dream and drive the silk road.

Someone told us a while back that if it means putting 10k on credit cards, it’s worth continuing your trip and chasing your dreams. Make it happen.

theDangerz

Comment by theDangerz on April 23, 2013 at 2:30 pm

63. Jim Yaussy Albright

Just recently found your blog. Please don’t stop now. Don’t be dragged down by people whose jealousy and envy seems to come from their own entitlement issues. Some will never want anyone to have what they can’t have–or are too lazy to go out and get for themselves. Keep on truckin’.

Comment by Jim Yaussy Albright on April 23, 2013 at 2:36 pm

64. Jerry Baldwin

I’ve followed your blog from the beginning and enjoyed every entry. Don’t let a few jealous people stop you from what you want to do. Many people do nothing because of fear and hate to see others do what they will not. Enjoy every day and every new adventure.

Comment by Jerry Baldwin on April 23, 2013 at 3:25 pm

65. Hey Guys,

This is a classic case of Tall Poppy syndrome, mixed with a good deal of assumptions and “internet experts”
    You can see it so clearly in the auto blog comments where people say “they are in big trouble when they get to the middle east. This will not end well”.
    Clearly, they have no idea what they are talking about, and are simply regurgitating the main stream media.

I had tons of people post similar comments for my Alaska->Argentina journey.

At the end of the day, you need to go forward and live your dreams, nay-sayers be damned.

Have fun !
    -Dan

Comment by Dan Grec on April 23, 2013 at 4:31 pm

66. I say just give it a bit of time. If the funding comes through, it doesn’t really matter what opinion anyone else has, just go. If the funding doesn’t come through then maybe you need to re-evaluate and approach things from a different angle. In the end it really only matters that you gave it your best.

Comment by Bert on April 23, 2013 at 5:37 pm

67. Timothy L Jones

Sir and Maam
    I think what you two are doing is the most awesome thing ever. There are plenty of us out here who, through, whatever circumstances, cannot do what you are doing, but want to experiance the life in other countries. You are providing just that! We essentially are living through you and your words, That is a good thing. As a fellow adventurous and a Big Time Westy Guy, I was turned on to this page by a fellow Westy guy and I look forward to the continuing adventures, much like when the next sequel in a never ending novel. You are going to find alot of negative, pessimistic, and envious in bad way’s type individuals in no matter what do. They feel so low about their own disdain life that the only way to bring balance is to critisize your life. Pay no heed and further more, give them no energy to further their cause. You cannot change their minds, only they have the power to raise themselves. I would suggest that you listen to the positive people, like myself, that want only for you to continue in you dreams and letting us ride along with you in your words and pics. I look forward to reading the many adventures yet to com and dream of a day when I will be able to make the same journey with my lovely partner and our VW Westy. You Guys Rock!!!!!!! Keep up the Pace!!!!!!

Comment by Timothy L Jones on April 23, 2013 at 6:42 pm

68. Jimmy

I found out about your trip today from that very article you received all the negative feedback from. Just donated $10. I don’t even know you two, but I’m sure you’d do the same for me. Best of luck.

Comment by Jimmy on April 23, 2013 at 6:43 pm

69. John

Long time reader, first time commenter who has nothing but admiration for you two sharing your incredible journey. Haters, Central American mechanics they think they know something but they really don’t know anything. Do what you think is right, you two have pretty good instincts.

Comment by John on April 23, 2013 at 6:58 pm

70. I think it’s very unfortunate the essence of the message conveyed in the Autoblog article was that you were asking for cash to continue your voyage. It is simply a case of misinterpretation in reading. Through your Kickstarter project, YOU ARE TRYING TO COLLECT FUNDS TO PRODUCE A BOOK NOT TO PAY FOR A VACATION !! I think if the article had been worded differently the outcome might have been very different…

That said, I agree with the Dangerz who basically says there’s no such thing as bad publicity. Although it’s probably hard to see now, in the long run the negative s*** that is said about you two will pay off by boosting your popularity. Go ahead, travel, write, because from now on, people will want to know what you will do next… Even the haters will… Just ask Howard Stern…:)

Comment by Marc Joinville on April 23, 2013 at 8:16 pm

71. Carry on with your adventure. Disregard those who are probably jealous or not into new experiences. You are positive folks so please don’t be discouraged. I have enjoyed the ride so far and look forward to more stories, which, btw, are well-written. As a photographer, I also look forward to your images.

Comment by Judy Tilley on April 23, 2013 at 8:31 pm

72. D. Whit

You need to quit this whining now.

Whatever spirit moved you two to make this trip needs to be reestablished and
    put this fundraising behind you and get on with it.

You don’t have the money to drive across China ? Walk. take trains.

Quit the whining.

You chose the blog path.

Count the little blessings in your life and make a decision. Any decision.

Some of us are just little cogs in big machines and we wish we could do what you are doing. We can’t. We have lousy jobs, no jobs, bad mortgages , layoffs looming, kids in war zones, pregnant children with no jobs and little money, relatives in bad shape, bills, bills and more bills.

We’ll make it…we always do. We’re made that way.

Get over it Brad & Sheena. Kiss the ground you stand on and count the blessings and do what you preach and make something happen.
    You’re with the person you love. The memories between the two will feed you for life. Blogging is not a requirement of living and making memories.

Don’t discuss writing any book until it is over and you have the material. Everybody and their brother writes a book now. Just do your thing and let the book come naturally if it is meant to be.

Quit fundraising and kickstarting and whatever else and go see whatever is over the next hill.

I wish I had the resources to fund you. I don’t . I’m sending some petty cash now as that is all I can afford to give you.

I am pulling for you and will pray for you even though none of my other prayers are being answered yet. I didn’t fund them……ha.

Quit this silly episode and move on to something.

Tell some of your foul mouthed friends to show some understanding.
    The world is tough oin a lot of people these days.
    Take the good and be thankful.

D.Whit.

Comment by D. Whit on April 23, 2013 at 9:20 pm

73. John B.

Your trip will be funded by the 98% who support you- not the 2% who don’t. So why let the 2% have a say in it? Do it for the 98%!

Comment by John B. on April 23, 2013 at 10:38 pm

74. Matthew White

I noticed the negative commentary and I thought about it too. I see their point. But who cares. I view you as professional travel writers and this trip is intense. You deserve the support. I enjoy the photos and the blog posts and if I feel like pitching in because I get a kick out of it that is my choice.

So, go for it!

Comment by Matthew White on April 24, 2013 at 2:38 am

75. First off – hello neighbors – welcome to Thailand! We amped up the heat and humidity just especially for your arrival. ;) But more importantly, I had to chime in on this. Along with others, I must insist that you do not let a few haters change your plan. The whole point of crowd-sourced funding is that we get to contribute only if we want to. People that disagree with what you’re doing shouldn’t contribute, it’s as simple as that. As it is, your blog provides enjoyment (a great distraction during the…ahem..work day for those of us still tied to a desk) and a chance to experience the world through your words and photos. Onward and upward!

Comment by Jess on April 24, 2013 at 3:52 am

76. Erin

If you weren’t producing a product, then I’d say that you were trying to fund your vacation. But since you’re offering a work of art, it’s no different than if you were to go through a publishing house. It’s just you’re seeking funding via a crowd source model instead of the traditional publishing model. I suspect the people who are cranky are either chronic complainers and/or are jealous you’re actually taking action towards something that’s your dream – and evidently, many other people’s dreams, since you have so much positive support.

Personally, I plan to help fund your venture. I hope others would be willing to do the same if I were to create something beautiful and valuable.

Comment by Erin on April 24, 2013 at 10:46 am

77. Way to go!

Comment by Marc Joinville on April 24, 2013 at 11:59 am

78. Yazdi

Brad,
    1.) People act out of Love, or they act out of pain. All the vehement comments come from the pain people are feeling in their every-day lives. use this concept develop compassion in your heart.
    2.) Stop reading the negative comments, it’s only causing more pain to you and Sheena.
    3.) Be gracious to those who donate. I know you already are.

Good Luck and keep the dream alive.
    –Yazdi

Comment by Yazdi on April 24, 2013 at 12:16 pm

79. My feeling is that those who can afford it and want to give you money will choose to do it because they want to. You asked for support for your project,, didn’t expect or demand it or whine about not having the money to continue on with your travels. So accept the monetary gifts from those who believe and can afford it and accept the gifts of support from those who support you and choose not to or can’t give you money. Fuck the rest.

Comment by Richard Baron on April 24, 2013 at 12:58 pm

80. Jackson

Sorry to hear of the negativity. I posted up your Kickstarter campaign advertisement to Facebook and got a few smart-aleck remarks. It makes me mad to see people trounce on others dreams. I say forget the haters and keep on posting updates while your in China!

Comment by Jackson on April 24, 2013 at 3:47 pm

81. Lenella

Brad and Sheena,

One of the reasons I enjoy reading your blog so much, and look forward to your book is your strength to overcome any obstacle that comes your way.

What you are experiencing is bullying. It happens frequently in school. I had a friend whose daughter hung herself, because others told her to kill herself. If you give into the bullying, you are allowing them to kill your dreams.

I believe if you have faith and keep working towards your goal, it will happen. There are enough people that believe in what you are doing that will back you. Those who don’t are simply jealous because they dd not think of it first. It is my hope to be able to give seed money, because I look forward to reading the book, and others books to follow up.

Please don’t give up over what others say. No matter what you do, there are going to be haters. Just don’t let them take away your dream.

Hang in there. Don’t change directions now…Go for it all the way!

Hugs,
    Lenella

Comment by Lenella on April 24, 2013 at 6:20 pm

82. Simon Crawley

We are the 98%. And I am living, somewhat, vicariously through you. Thank you both

Comment by Simon Crawley on April 25, 2013 at 10:43 pm

83. Joel

KEEP ON TRUCKIN!

I love your documentation of the trip. Go forth and understand there are always going to be whiners. It takes an incredible amount of Fortitude to do what you’re doing. I/we appreciate the adventure and challenges you encounter.

Now where is that kickstart link. . . I’ll find it.

Safe Journey!

Joel

Comment by Joel on April 27, 2013 at 8:43 am

84. James

Haters are going to hate – Ignore them and see it as a sign of success!

You’re letting people pay as little as $10 and in return they get a great book from the interesting poeple they’ve followed for months! Alternatively people simply have the choice to not contribute, it’s not like it’s compulsary.

Also, how can people suggest that you’re asking for your trip to be paid for when we’ve all seen the sacrifices you made at the start to get this dream rolling into reality.

I say keep it up and good luck! You’ve inspired me to go traveling, it’s part of my 3 year plan :) thanks!

Comment by James on April 28, 2013 at 8:42 am

85. Mom

Spoiled rich kids??? I think the nay-sayers are speaking of someone else. I am Brad’s mom. When Brad was growing up, I could only afford to clothe my kids in Goodwill jeans and shirts for a time. I could not afford to help him, so Brad put himself through college through academic scholarships, loans, and hard work. He has always been driven, and when he decides to do something, no matter how daunting, once he sets his mind on it, it’s a done deal! This adventure is no different. Through hard work, perseverance, and simplifying his lifestyle to the point of discomfort, he and Sheena are making their dreams come true. No vacation, here. I’d like to see the tourists try and live under the conditions for such a long period of time as these two have been doing. And always respectful of the culture and people that they encounter. I see nothing but gratitude for life itself, and living out the fruits of a hard-earned trek around the world. This has alway been Brad—making love out of nothing at all. I am so proud of you, Brad and Sheena! Carry on, and I will see you in Thailand! (Frequent Flyers, by the way……) Love, Mother Lion

Comment by Mom on May 1, 2013 at 8:23 am

86. Jason

Proud shareholder of the Nacho Experience. I hope you get to your goal, and if you don’t get there figure out a way to get by with what you’ve got. Put it out into the universe as Hairi did and you’ll be surprised at what happens. Just remember, there are those who do and those who don’t. Any time you ‘put something out there’ you’re liable to find some detractors. Don’t begrudge their lack of vision, they can’t help it.

When you get back to the states some day and if you’re in the Boulder, CO area look me up and I’ll definitely buy you a beer(s).

Drive Nacho Drive!